Made especially for the competitive cyclist who wants the most accurate and comprehensive data, the touch screen Edge 510 comes with connected features through your smartphone which includes live tracking as well as weather and social media sharing. Be it that you’re training, racing or touring, this device can track the details of your performance and view it after on a map at Garmin Connect. For faster satellite acquisition and improved signal lock, it’s compatible with GPS and GLONASS satellites. Suited for the most challenging conditions, you can bike with it even through canyons.
The Garmin Edge 510 GPS Bike Computer with HMR and GSC 10 Speed/Cadence Sensor records your distance, speed metrics, ascent/descent, grade and much more. With ANT+ compatible sensors that measures your heart rate, speed/cadence and power, you can take your training to a higher level. Its activity profiles allows for customization of data fields and device settings on cycling activity. You can switch profiles with a swipe of the touch screen and your device will be set up to show what data you need for that ride. Upon completing it, the Edge 510 will display new personal records you have achieved such as farthest distance, most ascent and the like.
Connect and share your riding experience with friends, family and social media contacts. When paired with your smartphone and the Garmin Connect Mobile application, the Edge 510 gets equipped with an array of connected features; thereby, allowing you to gain comprehensive and accurate data from a dedicated device, while saving your phone battery. It then tracks the data, sending it to your phone via Blutooth connection so you can immediately post an update the details of your ride or race.
What’s more, its live tracking feature allows family and friends to follow your races and training updates in real time. You can even invite followers using email or social media so they can view your live data on the Garmin Connect tracking page. Upon receipt of your email invite, all they need to do is click to follow and viola, they can access your stats and location on the map. You can store, share and analyze every detail of your ride too as the Garmin Connect Mobile app allows for wireless uploads of completed activities from your device as soon as you finish recording an activity.
- Easy to set up, easy to use and amazingly accurate.
- Uploading to Garmin Connect is easy and will give you all the info you could possibly ever imagine.
- It finds satellite inside the house so no more waiting outside for accuracy.
- The bluetooth connectivity works well and has long battery life.
- The heart monitor that came with it connects as soon as you turn the 510 on.
- The heart rate monitor and speed/cadence sensor are always recognized.
- The virtual competitor is great for gauging performance against yourself.
- It can do different workout profiles that you can customize easily.
- It bridges the gap between doing workouts and seeing results. The Garmin Connect website shows your workouts with individual data fields tracked for each workout.
- Given that this is marketed as a tool for serious cyclists, it is a significant problem to lose sensor data midway through a ride.
- Screen is not as easy to read as the 500, often leaving you wanting the backlight, but this unit will only last about 6 hours with backlight running.
- The display can be read only in the very brightest sunlight and then again only if it is overhead.
- Every time there is a notification, the whole screen dims and you must physically touch the unit to dismiss it.
- Has the tendency to drop the heart rate and cadence sensors mid-ride. The only way to reconnect the sensors is to reboot the device, which means your ride is now saved as multiple activities.
- Switching between screens is very laggy.
- Doesn’t record power properly.
Who Should Use this Product?
If you’re one cyclist who wants to monitor your performance and fond of sharing your riding activities to family and friends via social media, the Garmin Edge 510 GPS Bike Computer with HMR and GSC 10 Speed/Cadence Sensor is definitely for you. With its exceptional connectivity power, you’re updating your audience real time info at that.
Thanks to connectivity devices and social media, the world has become a smaller place. It’s now easy to keep track of one’s daily activities even if you don’t see him or her physically. Such is the capability of the Edge 510. It just doesn’t stop at recording your biking data, it goes the extra step in allowing you to share your cycling information to family and friends, real time. So how cool is that?